Reach for the First R01 Workshop
This service is provided by TRANSFORM.
The main objective of the Reach for the First R01 workshop is to provide junior faculty at Columbia University a structured environment that will optimize chances of receiving a favorable score on the R01 submission. This award is aimed at those are planning to submit an R01 for the June 2024 deadline. The workshops will emphasize several methodological and practical issues related to the development and writing of a NIH R01 application. The workshops will offer support by facilitating timely use of CTSA resources and providing expert and peer reviews on early drafts of R01 applications.
The Reach for the First R01 Workshop is available twice a year to promising junior faculty. Up to six junior investigators are selected for this workshop each term (fall and spring), across all departments.
Successful applicants will receive:
- Five free hours of biostatistical consulting
- Access to other Irving Institute services and programs
- Two expert pre-reviews on an early draft of their R01 application
- Bimonthly, closely-monitored meetings to ensure structure and timeliness in completing the tasks required to successfully submit a first R01 application
These resources are intended to enhance, rather than replace, appropriate mentoring. An applicant without excellent mentoring cannot be seen as competitive for this workshop.
2024 Course Sessions (In-Person Friday afternoons, 3:30pm - 5:00pm)
- March 15 – Introduction Session
- March 29 – Aims
- April 12 – Significance/Innovation
- April 19 – Budget Justification/Biosketch
- May 3 – Approach
- May 17 – Mock Study Session
See a list of current and past Reach For the First R01 Trainees. Over 45% of our trainees have received R01 or equivalent funding.
To apply for the Reach for the First R01 Workshop, candidates:
- Must be early stage investigators by the NIH definition (link is external and opens in a new window)
- Must be supported/recommended by their department chairs
- Spring applicants must plan for their first R01 application submission to be June 2024 (not before, or after)
- Fall applicants must plan for their first R01 application submission to be February 2025 of the following year (not before or after)
Detailed application instructions: Please download step by step application instructions if you need assistance completing the application.
The deadline to submit applications for our Spring workshop is March 8th , 2024 at 5:00 PM.
Cite it, Submit it, Share it!
If your research has benefited from one or more Irving Institute resources, please remember to: