Long Outpatient (LOP) Adult and Pediatric Clinical Research Services
This service is provided by the Clinical Research Resource (CRR).
Long outpatient adult and pediatric clinical research services are offered on the Irving Institute's Inpatient Clinical Research Unit.
Long outpatient clinical research services are suitable for studies that involve:
- Research protocols involving study drug infusions
- Frequent blood sampling
- Data collection beyond the Outpatient Clinical Research Unit hours
- Private rooms for participants and study team members
To conduct long outpatient clinical research visits, physicians, NPs, and PAs must have admitting privileges to NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital and be credentialed in the procedures that they will be performing.
In order to request long outpatient clinical research visits, the following documents need to be submitted by email at LOPforms@columbia.edu and confirmed with the front desk at 212-305-6632:
- A completed LOP Request Form (please see the LOP Guidelines document)
- A copy of the signed participant's consent
- A one-page request form
- Signed Participant’s consent (2 copies)
- Signed HIPAA consent
- Recent history and physical (H&P) which is required to be on the chart – no exceptions
- MD orders: Orders need to be typed on the institution’s stationery (Dr.’s order sheet).
Additional requirements include:
- A daily progress note is required as per hospital policy.
- You are responsible for the participant and must be on site during the day, in the event of an emergency. If you delegate this responsibility to someone else, this information should be communicated to the nursing staff.
- When referring to your protocol, please use your project title and assigned CRR number.
- Study teams are responsible for providing all necessary tubes for blood draws. A limited supply of tubes are available on the unit for emergency back up only.
Pediatric Inpatient Research Beds
Research beds for pediatric inpatient clinical research are available in the Inpatient Clinical Research Unit. Following approval of the protocol by the CRR Clinical Advisory Committee (ClinAC), beds are available by request. Pediatric participants must be 12 to 17 years of age; 12-13 year olds must weigh more than or equal to 50kg/110 lbs in order to be admitted to the inpatient unit.
Long outpatient clinical research services can be completed for visits requiring no more than 24 hours of observation.
Industry Initiated Studies
ACTIVE Investigator-Initiated Studies (grant submission deadlines of 10/4/2016 or earlier)
FUTURE Investigator-Initiated Studies (grant submission deadlines of 10/5/2016 or later)
Long Outpatient Room (price includes nursing)
$26.25 per hour
$78.75 per hour
Cite it, Submit it, Share it!
If your research has benefited from one or more Irving Institute resources, please remember to: